We’ve had a busy week of sport and activity at Greenfield, which kicked off on Monday with our first ‘Reading and Rugby’ day. Alex and Chad from Stourbridge Rugby Club joined us for our whole-school assembly. During the morning, Alex listened to children from Year 3 and 4 read. At lunchtime he organised some rugby skills for Year 3 on the playground, and during the afternoon, Anne Fine class were with him working on their passing and catching skills. There’s a great action shot on the back page!
Thursday saw the children taking part in an inter-house hockey competition. They had a great time and Miss Batham, our PE subject leader, was particularly impressed with Year 1. I think we may have a couple of children asking Santa for a hockey stick this year!
This month’s Fit Friday has been classroom based with an emphasis on relaxing exercise. Year 3 and 4 have done some yoga which is proven to have both physical and mental benefits, including:
- refining flexibility and balance; yoga poses have been shown to build muscle, increase flexibility, and develop balance
- reducing stress and anxiety
- developing concentration and focus
- creating mind-body connection
- encouraging sense of self, community, and teamwork